Bayesian shenanigans (i.e. problems)

John Wilcock john at TRADOC.FR
Thu Jan 15 10:07:47 GMT 2004

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 09:50:09 +0000, Peter Bates wrote:
> I still have Bayes off for now, but would like to reinstate it, but at
> the moment I'm almost tempted to desire each message to run once through
> the Bayes stuff, and then be run again through SA even if that times
> out... with the Bayes, the timeouts were very clear to see.

I had similar timeouts after upgrading to SA 2.60. I eventually
realised that they were due to a bayes autolearn triggering the expiry
process, which took up to three minutes when run separately (running
on a Pentium Pro 200, though my files are rather smaller than yours).
SA 2.61 claimed "dramatically reduced memory usage of Bayes expiry"
but it doesn't seem to have improved the speed much.

My workaround has been to add a short script to my cron.daily to
ensure that it never has to do the expiry as part of an auto-learn.

| #!/bin/sh
| sa-learn --force-expire --rebuild
| chown postfix.postfix /var/spool/MailScanner/spamassassin/bayes*

John.

--
-- Over 2000 webcams from ski resorts around the world - www.snoweye.com
-- Translate your technical documents and web pages    - www.tradoc.fr