Bouncing Spam

Mark Warpool Mark.Warpool at BENCHMARK-USA.COM
Fri Jan 9 14:40:05 GMT 2004

I think you misunderstood me.  I wanted people who were falsely getting
their email rejected as spam to contact me and let me know.  For
example, one of my customers had tried to send some email to herself
from her MSN account at home, and it got rejected as spam.  What I
wanted to do was to get an idea as to how often this kind of thing was
happening so I could determine if I needed to adjust my thresholds.

BTW, I'm happy to report I've only had it happen 3 times. :-)

         Mark Warpool
Phone: (419) 843-6691
Cell: (419) 356-2298

-----Original Message-----
From: Antony Stone [mailto:Antony at SOFT-SOLUTIONS.CO.UK]
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2004 9:02 AM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: Bouncing Spam

On Friday 09 January 2004 1:46 pm, Mark Warpool wrote:

> Allow me to point out one simple use for it, which is what I have been
> using it for recently.  As a sort of "debugging" technique.  I wanted
> get a bead on just how many false-positives that I have been getting,
> and so I turned on the bouncing, expecting that the people who get the
> bounce would give me a call and let me know.

I think the "success" rate of this technique would be so low as to be
immeasurable.

Consider that a mailshot campaign, where you at least expect the
recipients to
be possibly slightly interested in the information, generates a response
around 5%.

Expecting people to bother contacting you for sending them spam is just
crazy,
IMHO.

Antony.

--
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no
difference, whereas in practice there is.

                                                     Please reply to the
list;
                                                           please don't
CC me.