Not Virus Scanning Some Domains

Kyle Harris lists at TRCINTL.COM
Fri Jan 9 14:19:05 GMT 2004

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 14:04:45 -0000, Spicer, Kevin <Kevin.Spicer at BMRB.CO.UK>
wrote:

>Kyle Harris wrote:
>> Ya, could be I am misunderstanding that statement, but if that is the
>> case, what is the purpose of the following FAQ?
>> http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/serve/cache/244.html
>
>To disable filename checking for specified domains (which to be fair is a
question that is fairly frequently asked)

>> When Virus Scanning is turned off, MailScanner does not enter
>> {Scanned} at the beginning of each message subject even if you have
>> it configured to do so (turning virus scanning on immediately
>> remedies that problem), nor does it do the other file attachment
>> checks.  That is as of version 4.24-5.  I am looking for a way to
>> turn virus scanning off for some domains (again, as previously stated
>> that is easy enough by using a rule) however I still wish to have ALL
>> other features of MailScanner available.  Currently that doesn't seem
>> to be possible?  I was hoping that was what the above mentioned FAQ
>> was attempting to do.
>
>You want to enter prefix "(Scanned)" even to messages that haven't been???

Ya, but I would clarify it to say {SPAM Scanned}.  This is very handy if
you recently added a domain to your service by changing a DNS MX record.
As you know, it takes other DNS server some time before they update their
MX recrods.  This way, you can easily tell what messages have been scanned
and which have not.  After a while, this would be removed.

>I guess you could achieve a similar effect (unless server load is a worry)
by actually scanning every message, but then using rulesets to control what
happens when a virus is found (e.g. deliver it anyway).

Server load is not a worry, but how would you go about doing this?  That is
what I can't figure out?