Not Virus Scanning Some Domains

Kyle Harris lists at TRCINTL.COM
Fri Jan 9 13:55:43 GMT 2004

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 07:57:32 +0000, Kevin Spicer <kevins at BMRB.CO.UK> wrote:

>On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 00:28, Kyle Harris wrote:
>
>>As I understand it, this is not what should
>>happen.  In MailScanner.conf it says, and I quote " . . . is used to
>>accept
>>or reject file attachments based on their name, regardless of whether
>>they
>>are infected or not".  What am I missing?
>
>You are misunderstanding that statement.  filename.rules.conf determines
>whether a file should be blocked based on its name (regardless of other
>checks) - but will not override the descision of another check (such as
>virus scanning) to block the file.

Ya, could be I am misunderstanding that statement, but if that is the case,
what is the purpose of the following FAQ?
http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/serve/cache/244.html

>>If anyone knows of a better way of disabling Virus Scanning but keeping
>>ALL
>>the other features of MailScanner, please let me know.
>
>I think with recent versions you can use a ruleset for 'Virus Scanning'
>just to turn virus scanning on or off (In older versions this stopped
>all processing - but IIRC this has now been changed)

When Virus Scanning is turned off, MailScanner does not enter {Scanned} at
the beginning of each message subject even if you have it configured to do
so (turning virus scanning on immediately remedies that problem), nor does
it do the other file attachment checks.  That is as of version 4.24-5.  I
am looking for a way to turn virus scanning off for some domains (again, as
previously stated that is easy enough by using a rule) however I still wish
to have ALL other features of MailScanner available.  Currently that
doesn't seem to be possible?  I was hoping that was what the above
mentioned FAQ was attempting to do.