company trying to sell anti-spam

Billy A. Pumphrey bpumphrey at WOODMACLAW.COM
Fri Feb 27 15:59:43 GMT 2004

Awesome!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Peters [mailto:P.G.M.Peters at utwente.nl]
Sent: Friday, February 27, 2004 6:22 AM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: company trying to sell anti-spam

Hi folks,

Just had a nice phone talk with somebody from the UK trying to sell me
(as the University) something to block spam. It went something like
this:

"Hi, I am from the UK company zzz. Are you the person responsible for
e-mail"
"Yes, I am."
"Do you have any problems with spam?"
"No"
Questionable sound from the UK guy.
"About 50% to 60% of all e-mail is spam."
Happy sound from UK guy.
"But we manage to detect and remove 95% to 98% of it."
"How do you manage that?" asked in a very worrying way.
"We use MailScanner and SpamAssassin."
"For how many user?"
"About 10.000."
"Can I have your name and company again. So we won't be phoning you
again. We can't beat that percentage."

In short: Big thanks Julian.

--
Peter Peters, senior netwerkbeheerder
Dienst Informatietechnologie, Bibliotheek en Educatie (ITBE)