Building an MS-SA box

Peter Bonivart peter at UCGBOOK.COM
Fri Feb 20 23:54:58 GMT 2004

Michael Weiner wrote:
> I do seem to be having one small issue and that is getting this to work
> with ClamAV. I noticed there seems to be a number of list readers using
> ClamAV, can someone point me to a good doc or have some pointers on
> getting this setup to work? I currently have the RPMS for 0.67-1
> currently installed for clamav-milter and clamav. I even followed the
> instructions and installed the perl clamav module and modified the
> MailScanner.conf file appropriately.
>
> Any suggestions? And isnt there a test site out there that can send out
> a known virus to test a system?

Why use milter also? I don't think many here use it, try posting it on
the Clam list, there's many on that list that uses milter but none of
them seem to be using it with MS and SA, at least that's what I think.
The milter part of Clam seems to be quite buggy when you follow their
mail list. That's one of the greatest parts of MS in my opinion, it uses
the virus scanners in the absolutely simplest way possible, scanning a
file, that's why so many scanners are supported. Clam tries to do a
little bit of everything (daemon, mbox, milter) but the core function,
file scanning, is the best part of it.

I think the perl module for Clam has bugs in it making it unusable with
MS, Julian has contacted the author. This is about 0.05, some have tried
0.04 and it seems to work better.

Test sites:

http://www.eicar.org/
http://www.gfi.com/emailsecuritytest/
http://www.testvirus.org/

--
/Peter Bonivart

--Unix lovers do it in the Sun

Sun Fire V210, Solaris 9, Sendmail 8.12.10, MailScanner 4.25-14,
SpamAssassin 2.63 + DCC 1.2.30, ClamAV 0.67 + GMP 4.1.2