Spam whitelist rules

Dustin Baer dustin.baer at IHS.COM
Fri Feb 20 17:05:56 GMT 2004

Kai Schaetzl wrote:

> Dustin Baer wrote on         Fri, 20 Feb 2004 07:53:02 -0700:
>
> > You can whitelist, or blacklist an address, but still do spam checks in
> > order to see what the score is.  In other words, you can have
> > SpamAssassin give a score of 500, and show the hits/scores for each
> > test, and if the address is in "Is Definitely Not Spam," the email is
> > still going through...with the scores displayed
>
> Ah, so Spam Checks = no does no spam check at all while the other two do
> but I can change the default action for the result, did I get that right?

Yes.

> Hm, looking at the headers I think I didn't get it right, because there's
> no spam score (0.0) shown on all whitelisted mail. ;-)
> (using Is Definitely Not Spam = %rules-dir%/spam.whitelist.rules)

Do you still have "Spam Checks = no" (or a ruleset for the particular
address you are testing)?

> If I understand you correctly they should go through (since the default
> action is store) and they *do* go thru but they are all flagged as W/L and
> score of 0.0 in Mailwatch.

You have a default action of store for spam.whitelist.rules?  Now, I am
confused. :-)

> > On our server when people request quarantined spam, I change the $_
> > header to a "Is Definitely Not Spam" IP, but I allow Spam Checks.
>
> I don't understand, sorry. $_ is the "validated sender address" in
> sendmail, how, where do you change what?

I have a script that does it.  When people request email, the script
changes $_ to an IP that is whitelisted, therefore goes through, no
matter what SpamAssassin says.  The reason I want it this way, is that
it will go back through MailScanner (mqueue.in), pass through spam
checking, but get tested for viruses.

> > That
> > way, people can see why it was stopped in the first place.  If you had
> > an address that was "no" for "Spam Checks", then you wouldn't see the
> > SpamAssassin tests.
> >

> Yes, that's clear now, but not so much of the stuff above, sorry :-(

Here are some examples:

Sender = spammer at spam.com

1.
Spam Checks = yes
spam.whitelist.rules - From: spammer at spam.com yes

Result - email will include SpamAssassin score, no matter what score
SpamAssassin gave it.

2.
Spam Checks = no
spam.whitelist.rules - From: spammer at spam.com yes

Result - email will NOT include SpamAssassin score, because there are no
Spam Checks

Does that make more sense?

Dustin