Hello? (was Re: Adding Envelope Headers?)

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Feb 20 16:39:36 GMT 2004

At 16:35 20/02/2004, you wrote:

>>>And some won't do the right thing. If you teach Exim (e.g.) to put in
>>>those headers they will simply stick in the message. And they are
>>>supposed
>>>to. Therefore the User will be able to see them in his MUA.
>>>
>>>Possibly your setup will get rid of those headers at a later point.
>>>But
>>>speak for yourself only. :-)
>>>
>>>Where is the problem to put in those header fields at your setup? Why
>>>should MailScanner do anything with it? I fail to see the positive
>>>side effect.
>>
>>Right, it is in as an option. Envelope-From turned on by default,
>>Envelope-To turned off by default.
>>These will be in 4.27.
>
>Great!  Thank you :-)
>
>Just a couple questions:
>
>1) Will MailScanner use them as the source of information? or just
>write them on output?

With one very minor exception, MailScanner never uses the headers for
anything. It uses the envelope addresses.

>2) Is there any way to guarantee the ordering of the headers?

No. They will come at the end.

>For example, if they're in the source in a particular order (as I put
>the other messages, for CommuniGate Pro, Envelope-To has to be first,
>and then Return-Path), is it guaranteed that MailScanner will keep them
>in that order?

No.

>Or, if MailScanner is only generating them, and not reading them from
>the input, is there a way to make sure MailScanner puts them at the top
>of the message?

No. MailScanner always adds headers on the end of the list. Adding them at
the top is very messy as that is where the Received headers build a pretty
chain of information. You don't want to go inserting headers in the middle
of that, it will make a right mess :-)
--
Julian Field