McAfee virusscan

Nathan Johanson nathan at TCPNETWORKS.NET
Fri Feb 20 14:48:35 GMT 2004

No, you're right. It is a lesson in futility. I did a full review of all
currently support virus scanners several months ago (in fact, I think
someone posted this review to the FAQ).

After I posted my review, I received several conflicting pieces of
feedback. Everyone was told a different story by McAfee. No one seems to
know where or how to buy it or how it's licensed. I've been told by
several people that NAI licenses this product by user--not by machine.
This quickly put it out of our price range.

I found the smaller vendors were often the most helpful (which can be
expected). The NOD32 folks were the most responsive but still too
pricey. I settled on CAI eTrust at a little over $100.00 for 5 nodes
(licensed per machine). My only issue with them is their somewhat
lagging OS/distribution support. They still haven't release a version
that's compatible with Red Hat 9 or later, or Red Hat Enterprise Linux
2.1 or later. They're also RedHat/SUSE centric. No mention of Debian on
their compatibility list. I haven't tried it yet.

Nathan