Building an MS-SA box

MW Mike Weiner (5028) MWeiner at AG.COM
Fri Feb 20 15:38:12 GMT 2004

Julian -

I am back at it again, trying to build a decent spambox to throw in front of
our exchange server to help "save" it (LOL). Anyway, here is my basic
layout:

Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)
Linux spambox 2.4.20-28.9smp #1 SMP Thu Dec 18 13:37:36 EST 2003 i686 i686
i386 GNU/Linux
Running the following:

Spamassassin-2.63-1
Mailscanner-4.26.8-1
Dcc-dccd 1.3.1
Razor (Clients and SDK) 2.36
Pyzor-0.4
Spammiliter-0.2
Milter-regex-0.2

And it appears that SA and MS are playing quite nicely together, but I see a
lot of errors in the /var/log/maillog when this box gets busy. Is anyone
else running their system like this? This box does over 50k emails aday for
multiple domains and as such, the Load Average never goes below 4-5 on a
good day.

My plan is to use LDAP to do the user authentication against the Exchange
server, thus making delivery rules and such easier to maintain and verify
real users and trash everything else.

Looking for any suggestions on improvement of performance and load, in
particular, from admins that are using a system as described above. Any
ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Michael Weiner
Senior Systems Administator, WebOps