Building an MS-SA box

Fri Feb 20 15:54:00 GMT 2004

Mike

the the order I'd do it...

1) make sure the MailScanner working area, "Incoming Work Dir" defined
in MailScanner.conf, is on a tmpfs not a disk.

2) configure a caching nameserver on the MS box.

3) have a look at the "Max Children" ,"Max Unscanned Messages Per Scan"
and "Max Unsafe Messages Per Scan". Altering these, esp the Max Children
can have a big effect. Given you load average I'd consider lowing the
Max Children - after 1 and 2 have been done. Mine's at 5, but I'm only
running an single 600mhz, 8-9k messages a day.

4) RAM RAM and plenty of RAM..1-2GB is not unheard of in this list for
your sort of message load.

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

MW Mike Weiner (5028) wrote:
> Julian -
>
> I am back at it again, trying to build a decent spambox to throw in front of
> our exchange server to help "save" it (LOL). Anyway, here is my basic
> layout:
>
> Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)
> Linux spambox 2.4.20-28.9smp #1 SMP Thu Dec 18 13:37:36 EST 2003 i686 i686
> i386 GNU/Linux
> Running the following:
>
> Spamassassin-2.63-1
> Mailscanner-4.26.8-1
> Dcc-dccd 1.3.1
> Razor (Clients and SDK) 2.36
> Pyzor-0.4
> Spammiliter-0.2
> Milter-regex-0.2
>
> And it appears that SA and MS are playing quite nicely together, but I see a
> lot of errors in the /var/log/maillog when this box gets busy. Is anyone
> else running their system like this? This box does over 50k emails aday for
> multiple domains and as such, the Load Average never goes below 4-5 on a
> good day.
>
> My plan is to use LDAP to do the user authentication against the Exchange
> server, thus making delivery rules and such easier to maintain and verify
> real users and trash everything else.
>
> Looking for any suggestions on improvement of performance and load, in
> particular, from admins that are using a system as described above. Any
> ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Michael Weiner
> Senior Systems Administator, WebOps