Hello? (was Re: Adding Envelope Headers?)

John Rudd jrudd at UCSC.EDU
Fri Feb 20 16:35:39 GMT 2004

On Feb 20, 2004, at 4:34 AM, Julian Field wrote:

> At 11:12 20/02/2004, you wrote:
>> > Users will NOT see the "Envelope-To" headers.  Your argument
>> > does not hold.  Some MTA's will "do the right thing" with it.
>>
>> And some won't do the right thing. If you teach Exim (e.g.) to put in
>> those headers they will simply stick in the message. And they are
>> supposed
>> to. Therefore the User will be able to see them in his MUA.
>>
>> Possibly your setup will get rid of those headers at a later point.
>> But
>> speak for yourself only. :-)
>>
>> Where is the problem to put in those header fields at your setup? Why
>> should MailScanner do anything with it? I fail to see the positive
>> side effect.
>
> Right, it is in as an option. Envelope-From turned on by default,
> Envelope-To turned off by default.
> These will be in 4.27.

Great!  Thank you :-)

Just a couple questions:

1) Will MailScanner use them as the source of information? or just
write them on output?

2) Is there any way to guarantee the ordering of the headers?

For example, if they're in the source in a particular order (as I put
the other messages, for CommuniGate Pro, Envelope-To has to be first,
and then Return-Path), is it guaranteed that MailScanner will keep them
in that order?

Or, if MailScanner is only generating them, and not reading them from
the input, is there a way to make sure MailScanner puts them at the top
of the message?