Hello? (was Re: Adding Envelope Headers?)

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Feb 20 12:34:46 GMT 2004

At 11:12 20/02/2004, you wrote:
> > Users will NOT see the "Envelope-To" headers.  Your argument
> > does not hold.  Some MTA's will "do the right thing" with it.
>
>And some won't do the right thing. If you teach Exim (e.g.) to put in
>those headers they will simply stick in the message. And they are supposed
>to. Therefore the User will be able to see them in his MUA.
>
>Possibly your setup will get rid of those headers at a later point. But
>speak for yourself only. :-)
>
>Where is the problem to put in those header fields at your setup? Why
>should MailScanner do anything with it? I fail to see the positive side effect.

Right, it is in as an option. Envelope-From turned on by default,
Envelope-To turned off by default.
These will be in 4.27.

# Do you want to add the Envelope-From: header?
# This is very useful for tracking where spam came from as it
# contains the envelope sender address.
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
Add Envelope From Header = yes

# Do you want to add the Envelope-To: header?
# This can be useful for tracking span destinations, but should be
# used with care due to possible privacy concerns with the use of
# Bcc: headers by users.
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
Add Envelope To Header = no

# This is the name of the Envelope From header
# controlled by the option above.
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
Envelope From Header = X-%org-name%-MailScanner-From:

# This is the name of the Envelope To header
# controlled by the option above.
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
Envelope To Header = X-%org-name%-MailScanner-To:

--
Julian Field