Bayes database size.

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Thu Feb 5 16:20:25 GMT 2004

At 08:40 AM 2/5/2004, Carles Xavier Munyoz Baldó wrote:
>My question is: will the learning process stop when there is enougth
>information on the database or will it continuosly learn new spam and ham
>messages ?

It will keep learning.

>That it is, is there any limit in the number of spam and ham messages learned
>by the Bayes database ?

Yes, read man Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf if you want to try to change it.

>If there is no limit, will my database continuosly increase its size until I
>run out of disk space ?

No it won't, as long as the expiry process can successfully run now and
again. The expiry pushes old tokens out of the bayes database if it's over
the size limits.

If you're using an older version of MailScanner on a busy server, you may
need to run sa-learn --force-expire in your crontab. Newer versions of
MailScanner manage bayes expiry automatically.

(SA will try to "opportunistically" run expiry as it scans mail, but on a
busy server, with multiple MailScanner children, it's unlikely to be
successful, as it can only succeed in locking the bayes database when only
one message is being SA'ed at the time it tries. Same rules of opportunism
apply to autolearning. It only happens if it can be done without waiting
for a lock.)