questions using sendmail

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Mon Feb 2 19:57:24 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 19:44, Thierry wrote:
> hello,
> I am a little bit confused with sendmail/Mailscanner ...
> i just install sendmail this afternoon, i test it, everything is runnig find.
> I install it on my laptop, i can send ans receive mail ...
> I am using mutt, procmail and fetchmail.
> I read some documentations about exim and postfix, and about the exim one, i read something very interesting, that mailscanner was moving (scanning) from /var/spool/incoming queue to /var/spool/mqueue.in queue all mails received.
> How can i do the same thing with sendmail ??
> I put the right path in my MailScanner.conf:

> But my mqueue.in still empty ... something to do with sendmai/fetchmail ?

You need to stop sendmail then start mailscanner which will start the
sendmail processes itself.  Here are the commands (assuming redhat or
similar...)
service MailScanner stop
service sendmail stop
chkconfig --level 2345 sendmail off
shkconfig --level 345 MailScanner on
service MailScanner start

I can confirm this works fine with fetchmail as this is one of my
setups.

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000