SpamAssassin preferences for every domain

Felix Schwarz Felix.Schwarz at WEB.DE
Fri Dec 31 15:12:14 GMT 2004

Hi all,

if I understand the docs correctly I can't set up a SpamAssassin
preference file for every domain I'm hosting (only 1 MailScanner
instance running). That is because MS uses SA as a library and SA
initializes all options at the beginning (MS start).

Are there any plans to circumvent this limitation?
What I would like to do: Hosting multiple domains (customers) on one
server. Every customer should have its own SA preferences (especially
bayes database).

When browsing the SA sourcecode I found the signal_user_changed method
(especially the user_dir option is interessting to me). IMHO that method
would be sufficient in order to implement the behavior described
above.

I know that this would be less efficient that the normal MS operation
mode because the bayes db and the whole stuff must be loaded, verified
etc. but as I'm in the process of installing a server that won't have
much load (5-10K mails/day) I think that would be worth it.

Furthermore there are some optimizations that could be done (such as
having multiple SA instances that are specific for a certain
domain/user so that they don't have to reload their databases all the
time).

If you don't want to implement that by yourself what do you think:
+ How much work would it be for a moderately skilled perl programmer?
+ Would you (Julian) accept a patch that would implement the feature
described above (without changing the default behavior of course?

--
Felix