Postfix and Mailscanner sitting in a tree k-iss-ing

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Dec 30 15:14:10 GMT 2004

>I get the general idea ... I'm interested in the details.  I understand the
>"official" interfaces idea just fine.  What fascinates me is the question:
>
>What is wrong with the sanctioned interfaces provided?
>
>How is it not a technical problem?

MailScanner is built on the basis that what it does is take messages
from one queue, clean them up, and put them in another queue. That's the
fundamental design of MailScanner, and it's a very simple one. That's
the way it is.

In Postfix's case, the "sanctioned interfaces" don't provide for any way
of implementing MailScanner's design, without changing the whole way
MailScanner works. Which I am not prepared to do. Quite reasonably, I
think. Wietse thought up a way for programs to interface with Postfix,
and stamps his feet saying that everyone must use the method *he*
thought of. He didn't think of anyone doing it the way I did, so he says
I'm wrong.

It's an odd area of engineering where a novel design is wrong just
because someone else didn't think of it first.

Yes, it is a technical problem. But not one I can/will solve the way
Wietse wants me to.

--
Julian Field