MailScanner ANNOUNCE beta 4.37.6

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Dec 29 17:46:37 GMT 2004

I have just released a new beta 4.37.6. I intend this to be the last
release before the stable release at the start of January, so I would
appreciate it if you could help test it for me.

All the messages coming through can now have arbitrary headers added.
And I have added an important fix into the MIME-tools that fixes a
problem causing MailScanner to crash when processing some particular
bounce messages from Hotmail.

When installing this release, please remember to run the ./install.sh as
the perl-MIME-tools package has been updated.

Download as usual from www.mailscanner.info

The full Change Log is this:

* New Features and Improvements *
- When stripping HTML messages to plain text, the contents of script and
  style tags are omitted.
- Phishing net improved to ignore email addresses.
- Now supports split sendmail queues where any incoming mqueue.in directory
  can have qf, df, xf, tf subdirectories, each containing the appropriate
  type of file for each message. This will greatly speed operation on big
  queues as the directories will be less than half the size of a combined
  queue directory.
- New option "Keep Spam And MCP Archive Clean" which forces it to virus scan
  all spam that is quarantined. Any spam (or MCP messages) found to be
virus-
  infected are removed from the quarantine, so you can safely let your users
  have access to the spam archive safe in the knowledge that they cannot get
  any viruses out of it.
  Note: This feature is disabled by default, as most people won't want the
        performance hit of all the extra scanning, as they don't their users
        access to the spam quarantine anyway.
- Changed Postfix handling so that "Archive Mail" feature creates files
  with unique names so that re-used message-ids don't cause overwriting of
  older files in the same day with the same message-id.
- Spam and MCP actions (and of course their non- and high-scoring-
alternatives
  can now include extra headers which are added in each case. These entire
  headers must be contained in double quotes. So for example, you can have
  Spam Actions = header "X-Spam-Status: yes" deliver
  and the message will be delivered but with the extra header
  added to the message.

* Fixes *
- Fixed sendmail and ZMailer problem where subject lines starting with a
  line-break were not tagged correctly.
- Fixed minor problems with multi-line Subject: headers.
- Fixed bugs with some MTAs when keeping spam archive clean.
- %vars% in MailScanner.conf are now handled properly in "other" settings.
- Fixed problem with correctly removing Phishing frauds from badly formatted
  html with missing <a> tags before corresponding </a>.
- Fixed problem with message duplication on some sendmail systems.
- Worked around Perl bug causing crashes with a few bounces from Hotmail.

--
Julian Field