Classes of service using advanced queuing techniques.

Errol Neal eneal at DFI-INTL.COM
Wed Dec 15 20:34:11 GMT 2004

Hi everyone. Been a long time since I posted to this list since I
switched jobs. Happy holidays and hope everyone is doing well.

I've been looking into implementing a hierarchy of service levels for
mail delivery using the queuing capabilities of Sendmail and the
multiple outbound queue groups found in the custom functions of
MailScanner. What I'd like to do on the inbound side is to drop mail in
one of several queues based upon the recipient domain and other stuff.
This capability is already available to me through the use of the
extended queue groups. So, to realize my ambitions, I'd like
MailScanner to do the following:

1. Pick up mail dropped in multiple queues/*

Since the dx and qx files will be split into separate directories, I
need to know if MailScanner can handle this. The directory structure
will be something like this

                        /var/spool/mqueue
                                                /highpriority

/dx

/qx
                                                /lowpriority

/dx

/qx

2. Drop processed mail into multiple outgoing queues.

I'm already using the feature &MultipleQueueDir to drop spam into a slow
queue, however I want to prioritize outbound mail on the basis of it's
final destination as well. Now I've tried using the following in
CustomConfig.pm:

                        return '/var/spool/mqueue.outbound.fast'
if $messages->{fromdomain}, veryimportantclient.com;

However, that did not work (If you are laughing at me, please do not.. I
have very little programming ability). Now, when I say "it did not
work", I did not get an error and the queue was actually used, however
the messages that went into the queue were not those that I wanted to.

Is what I want to do possible? Secondly, does how does MailScanner
determine which message to process first in a batch of say 100 messages?
Is it FIFO based upon the time stamp on the file, or does it honor the
message priority assigned to the queue file by sendmail?

Thanks in advance.

Errol Neal

Errol Uriel Neal Jr.
Network Administrator