OT: fetching e-mails to local server

Thom Paine thom at CUSTOMNETWORKS.CA
Tue Dec 14 14:44:12 GMT 2004

> This is what the:
>
> user 'xyz' with pass ''abc'  to * here
>
> syntax is for in your fetchmailrc.  This works, but is unreliable in some
> circumstances.  I have one site where it works seemingly faultlessly and
> another where it won't work at all - probably depends on the mailserver being
> polled.  If you have no alternative though...

I don't like this syntax as it's a little confusing.

The catch is you need a localdomains line in your .fetchmailrc file.

Here is an example of mine.

set daemon 300
poll "domain.com"
proto pop3
localdomains yourdomain.com
user "popusername"
pass "poppassword"
to *

You need to run this as root on the mailserver that is fetching the
email. The set daemon checks every 300 seconds. The caveat is that BCC
messages don't get delivered to the recipient. They get bounced to root.

I also have the server load the /usr/bin/fetchmail command in
the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file so it's started at bootup.

Hope this is helpful.

-=/>Thom