OT: fetching e-mails to local server

Brian Parish clicknow at SWIFTDSL.COM.AU
Mon Dec 13 21:51:23 GMT 2004

    [ The following text is in the "iso-8859-2" character set. ]

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:34 am, Marcin Ro¿ek wrote:
> Hello,
> this is a bit off-topic, but i don't know where to ask this question...
> The story: small firm have an e-mail server provided by their ISP. They
> have few aliases eg. aaa at firm.pl bbb at firm.pl etc. that points to one
> real account on that server. They also want to have their local e-mail
> server  to send e-mails (and that works ok) but also want to have their
> e-mails fetched from ISP-server to their local server. I'm not sure how
> i can do this. I tried fetchmail, but it downloads all e-mails to one
> account. But they want to download all e-mails from that one real
> account and place it into real accounts on local server.
>
> aaa at firm.pl and bbb at firm.pl goes to realaccount at firm.pl
> I have to get all e-mails from realaccount and put e-mails that were
> sent to eg. aaa at firm.pl to box aaa on local server.
>
> Someone have an idea how to do that?
> I appreciate any help.
>
> ps. i was thinking about changing MX record to point to that 'local'
> server but its IP is dynamic:(

This is what the:

user 'xyz' with pass ''abc'  to * here

syntax is for in your fetchmailrc.  This works, but is unreliable in some
circumstances.  I have one site where it works seemingly faultlessly and
another where it won't work at all - probably depends on the mailserver being
polled.  If you have no alternative though...

HTH
Brian