procmailrc question

Shortt, Kevin KShortt at AZERTY.COM
Mon Dec 13 16:56:31 GMT 2004

> I am currently running MailScanner with SpamAssassin 3.0.1 on Red Hat
> Linux 3.0 as my primary mail server for about 2,000 PCs  with great
> results.
> I have some experience with Linux.  I am working with Linux more.
> My question is would using procmailrc be a benefit to SPAM filtering
> along with MailScanner and SpamAssassin or is it for sorting email?
> I don't need to sort the email I am just interested in good SPAM
> filtering.

   procmail is primarily for local deliver and filtering locally
   delivered email.   It is versatile and can be used for many
   things, but it has some limitations. If your server is only
   a gateway scanner, then procmail is probably not much use to
   you. If you are in a scenario where you deliver mail locally
   after it has been scanned by MS or SA, you can use it to filter
   spam tagged email. I use it in a variety of ways as it pertains
   it MS and SA.

             - backup every message that comes into the server
               into hourly files that get purged with a retention
               of 5 days. This is not really SA/MS related, but it
               has saved some users many times.

             - filter all tagged spam and spool into daily folders
               and retain spam mail for 10 days. This protects against
               false positives.

   I hope this helps..

   -k