Mqueue getting huge - MailScanner problem

Brian Lewis test at NEXTMILL.NET
Mon Dec 13 03:56:10 GMT 2004

We found after upgrading to SA 3.x that the sa-learn cron job that is ran
nightly didn't pick up the correct path to the bayes databases, so we
modified our cron script to execute the following:

sa-learn --force-expire --
siteconfigpath=/etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf

This way it could parse the correct spam.assassin.prefs.conf file for the
correct bayes database location.  Previously it worked on 2.6x but after
the 3.x upgrade it would use the sa pref conf and not the one used by
mailscanner, so our bayes database grew out of control, something like
300+ megs!  It took a few hours for it to expire it back down to 10 megs.

We also moved DNS to a dedicated DNS machine, it runs both the mysql
database for mailwatch and named for dns cache because our service
provider was blocking our dns requests from our mailscanners!  They say
they weren't but its pretty obvious when you can nslookup for any machine
except from your mailscanners.  Next step is to move towards using RBLDNSD
to keep most RBL lookups local and prevent the latency involved in
querying the public database servers that can have problems at times.