System capacity

Peter Bonivart peter at UCGBOOK.COM
Mon Dec 6 00:26:48 GMT 2004

Dave Filchak wrote:
> I just received my copy of the MailScanner book and was beginning to go
> through it and in the course of doing that, it mentions system
> configurations and some examples found on the MAQ. In looking at that I
> came across the following stats that sort of freaked me out.
>
> Hardware: 1 x P4-2.0Ghz, 1G RAM, 80G IDE
> Software: RHES 3, Sendmail 8.12.x, SA, razor, pyzor, dcc
> RBLs: MTA = spamcop, ordb, sbl-xbl.spamhaus
> Virus Scanners: ClamAVmodule SophosSAVI
> Volume: 150 messages/day
> Average Load: Around 2-4
>
> Hardware: 1 X Pentium, 200, 256 MB RAM, 4.3 SCSI HDD.
> Software: Red Hat 9, Postfix 2.0.16, Gateway mode - All Mail forwarded
> to Lotus Domino, Spamassassin, Pyzor, DCC, MailWatch, Vispan,
> Mailscanner-MRTG, Caching Named,
> RBLs: None in MTA, None in MailScanner, All in SpamAssassin
> Virus Scanners: ClamAV
> Volume: 1500 messages/day
>
> Now I have a  Pentium IV 2.6 GHz machine with a gig of ram and and
> pushing through about  750 to 1000 on average with some days going
> considerably higher, so this makes me worry a lot ;-(  Am I totally
> under powered here? I am
> using  a setup very similar to the first one except it is RH 9. I also
> find it odd that the second system can process more mail per day? Is it
> a typo?

Those examples are from real life, it's not meant to show what those
systems really can handle, it's the load they have so if you have less
the configuration is adequate.

How do you figure that you're underpowered with 1000 messages a day?
Your system should handle 25 times that load.

--
/Peter Bonivart

--Unix lovers do it in the Sun