MailScanner.conf and spam.assassin.prefs.conf on upgrade

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Dec 1 16:40:42 GMT 2004

Martin Hepworth wrote:

> Julian Field wrote:
>
>> Martin Hepworth wrote:
>>
>>> Julian
>>>
>>> maybe I've missed something on the recent upgrades, but on the
>>> instructions it talks about using the upgrade_MailScanner_conf
>>> script to
>>> merge in your config with the new Mailscanner.conf options.
>>>
>>> I've seen a few changes needed for SA3.0 for spam.assassin.prefs.conf
>>> (on the fsl.com support pages) and you've just mentioned a change to
>>> the
>>> file as shipped.
>>>
>>> How easy would it be to make a upgrade_spam_assassin_prefs_conf script
>>> so any recent updates to this script are handled more automagically
>>> too??
>>

>> Not half so easily. I can spot the real lines in MailScanner.conf far
>> more easily due to my simple key = value syntax.
>>
>> Note that you can use upgrade_MailScanner_conf on languages.conf files
>> as well!
>> One of these days I'll get around to documenting that. I don't want to
>> do it now as it will need some testing, as I want the script to
>> automatically work out what it's been asked to do and print different
>> help accordingly.
>>
>> --
>> Julian Field
>

> Fair enough....
>
> might be worth while documenting a 'diff' style approach and getting the
> person doing the upgrade to check out changes..
>
> or what about a little CVS style change log at the top of the file so we
> can track changes better???

Eek, documentation? There's that nasty little "d" word again :-)
A decent change log at the top of it would be a very good idea. An
auto-upgrader would be even better.

All the distributions now contain an upgrade_languages_conf script to
maintain the languages.conf files better, as this appears to be a common
problem. It's a symlink to upgrade_MailScanner_conf with some extra
logic added to the script to work out how it was invoked and therefore
what text it should print.

--
Julian Field