Help Understanding FAQ Answer

Ugo Bellavance ugob at CAMO-ROUTE.COM
Mon Aug 23 18:05:23 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
Christian Campbell wrote:

> Julian Field wrote:
>
>>At 16:45 19/08/2004, you wrote:
>>
>>>If I want to NOT scan an email from
>>><mailto:user at domain.tld>user at domain.tld, how do I
>>>config?  <mailto:user at domain.tld>user at domain.tld is sending an HTML
>>>email with a form that needs to be delivered (with the form intact)
>>>for legitimate business purposes.
>>
>>One extra point in addition: you don't want to switch off
>>scanning for mail
>>from this address, you just want to disable form tag checking for this
>>address. Never switch off more checks than you absolutely
>>have to, or it
>>will come back to bite you one day.
>

> I guess due to a lack of understanding the bigger picture with MailScanner,
> I'm not sure how to accomplish what I need, even *after* reading the FAQ.
>
> I need to disable checking for HTML forms from a specific email address
> while still performing all other tests on said email address.  Any chance
> someone can give me a step-by-step?

You open MailScanner.conf and look for this setting:

# Do you want to allow <Form> tags in email messages? This is a bad idea
# as these are used as scams to pursuade people to part with credit card
# information and other personal data.
# Value: yes     => Allow these tags to be in the message
#        no      => Ban messages containing these tags
#        disarm  => Allow these tags, but stop these tags from working
#                   Note: Disarming can be defeated, it is not 100% safe!
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
Allow Form Tags = disarm

You create a ruleset file and put the path to this file instead of the
"disarm" here.

To create your ruleset file, you can see the EXAMPLE file in the "rules"
directory, check this
http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/serve/cache/207.html
and this
http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/serve/cache/230.html