TNEF playing up again

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Apr 14 13:33:23 IST 2004

At 13:15 14/04/2004, you wrote:
>On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 14:53:29 +0100, you wrote:
>
> >I would just set the Exchange servers to use HTML for rich text messages
> >and not TNEF. Microsoft have now pretty much deprecated TNEF as even they
> >finally realised it was a dead duck.
>
>Do you have any substantial information about this. Our Exchange guys
>don't believe me without any prove. I have warned them too often about
>things that turned out to be true but so "easy to use". So they don't
>want to change anything without any backup from somebody not that
>anti-exchange like me.

The trouble with TNEF is that only Outlook and Outlook Express users can
use them, or via an Exchange server. None of the rest of the world can read
them. They just see a plain-text message with a "winmail.dat" attachment
which they can't do anything with.

In newer versions of Exchange (and I believe in Outlook as well) the
default rich text format is HTML. Do a fresh install of Outlook and you
will see what I mean.
--
Julian Field