TNEF playing up again

Peter Peters P.G.M.Peters at utwente.nl
Wed Apr 14 14:54:25 IST 2004

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 13:33:23 +0100, you wrote:

>> >I would just set the Exchange servers to use HTML for rich text messages
>> >and not TNEF. Microsoft have now pretty much deprecated TNEF as even they
>> >finally realised it was a dead duck.
>>
>>Do you have any substantial information about this. Our Exchange guys
>>don't believe me without any prove. I have warned them too often about
>>things that turned out to be true but so "easy to use". So they don't
>>want to change anything without any backup from somebody not that
>>anti-exchange like me.
>
>The trouble with TNEF is that only Outlook and Outlook Express users can
>use them, or via an Exchange server. None of the rest of the world can read
>them.

But according to our Exchange "goeroes" everybody will be using Exhange
in a couple of days, weeks or months (depending on who you speak to).
But they told that years ago too, when we first rolled out Exchange and
I warned against incompatibilities.

>They just see a plain-text message with a "winmail.dat" attachment
>which they can't do anything with.

I know. ;-(

>In newer versions of Exchange (and I believe in Outlook as well) the
>default rich text format is HTML. Do a fresh install of Outlook and you
>will see what I mean.

I talked to another exchange admin (not a goeroe) and he told me his new
installation of Exchange 2003 had HTML on by default.

--
Peter Peters, senior netwerkbeheerder
Dienst Informatietechnologie, Bibliotheek en Educatie (ITBE)