Sudden dropoff in volume of spam

Support ePaxsys/FRWS support at EPAXSYS.NET
Sun Apr 11 21:26:10 IST 2004

At 01:11 PM 4/11/04 +1000, you wrote:
> [...]

We second the motion on how the SPAM is now becoming more and more
open-relays and trojaned machines. Statistics prove it on our end.
A large amount of SPAM comes from China, Korea, and a couple South American
countries, but the lion's share of the spam 'attempts' is from residential
and broadband machines. Comcast gets the kudos for still being the worst
(on our servers), with the others (RR, Adelphia, ATTBI, etc) coming in
strong behind them.
There are the pockets of hardcore spam IPs and hosts that constantly change
their 'names' but the IPs seem consistent, so maybe the ISPs themselves are
wising up and there are fewer out there willing to host them. One can only
hope.
A small webpage with some ongoing daily SPAM host stats is at:
http://www.frws.com/spam-hallofshame.html
and shows what we see on two servers (one a primary and the other a
secondary MX) serving about 52 domains and 600 users, give or take.

Stats are always telling. We also run our own lists here to block dynamic
and residential hosts, as well as numerous others - and the reasons are
obvious once you look at the stats. And we do use SpamHaus and other RBLs
as well, all at the sendmail level. Keeping it off the servers in the first
place is our goal, less processing for the Virus and SPAM scanners that
way.  :>)

Jerome

ePaxsys/FRWS Technical Staff
ePaxsys, Inc. http://www.epaxsys.net