Deleting Bounces for unkown users

MailScanner mailscanner at SMITS.CO.UK
Mon Apr 12 10:36:15 IST 2004

Hi Hendrik,

I use a "four strikes and you're out" script to handle NDR's. This gives
each bounce message four chances of delivery and deletes those with
higher retry counts out of the mqueue on an (hourly) cron job.

Yes, I know this breaks RFC since I'm not taking 'utmost care' to handle
messages I have accepted but I'm playing the percentages with this one:
99% of my NDR's are from low scoring spam (which I deliver) and 99% of
regular NDR's get delivered on the first try.

The script is sendmail specific since that's what I use. It's unelegant
and suboptimal, but it works well.

Usage: qkill /var/spool/mqueue

Bart...

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Hendrik den Hartog
Posted At: 11 April 2004 22:32
Posted To: MailScanner
Conversation: Deleting Bounces for unkown users
Subject: Deleting Bounces for unkown users

Hello, we'd appreciate some expert help advice.

At our site [a school] we have a high turnover of students.
We get several emails for students who have left, 99.99% [probably 100%]
of which are list/spam/etc.

Using Kevin Spicer's methods as per the FAQ, we stop the mail for
unknown users at the Firewall, this saves them being processed by
Mailscanner and forwarded to the internal server and thats great!
(Thanks Kevin).

However, the only option for 'ldap_routing' feature is BOUNCE, several
sites seem to refuse returned mails, so these messages end up sitting in
mqueue going through the 'motions'

Is there any way to have these messages DELETED instead of bounced? or,
are there any [safe] scripts around which can grep/delete email for
'unknown users' from mqueue?

Any help/advice appreciated

Cheers!
Hendrik