Testing a new installation

Pete pete at eatathome.com.au
Mon Apr 5 12:52:46 IST 2004

Steve Rochford wrote:

>I've installed mailscanner on a FreeBSD system using Postfix and it
>seems to work but I'd like to test it fully before I go live; ultimately
>it will be forwarding email to an Exchange 2000 server.
>
>At the moment I've been using Outlook Express on an internal machine
>configured to point directly at the mailscanner box as its SMTP server.
>This appears to work and if I send myself the EICAR test it's found and
>deleted; other email gets through OK.
>
>Is there something I can use to send sample spam/virus messages to my
>mailscanner machine without having to change the MX record in my DNS?
>(I've tried www.testvirus.org but that only seems to send email to my
>published MX; I want something like that where I can specify the IP
>address to send mail to).
>
>Also, if I use Outlook Express or just telnet to port 25 on my
>mailscanner machine it seems to take at least a minute before the
>Postfix program responds. Is this delay configurable?

Yes but i dont know thwe answer - there is a postfix command to tell
postfix not to try and do a DNS lookup of the senders domain, which is
probably faked since you are on a LAN using an outlook client?

Google for "gtube"

The following is good and provides the following report, from a legit
address. I just email the entire message in the body and copy the the
subject in, its fairly spammy text. score a 7.22 with me which is enough
to mark it as spam, my low spam score being 5.

http://hyvatti.iki.fi/~jaakko/spam/unkillable.txt
0.67    ALL_CAP_PORN    Possible porn - in ALL CAPS
1.91    BEST_PORN       Possible porn - Best, Largest, Most Porn
0.60    J_CHICKENPOX_23         {2}Letter - punctuation - {3}Letter
0.60    J_CHICKENPOX_31         {3}Letter - punctuation - {1}Letter
0.60    J_CHICKENPOX_42         {4}Letter - punctuation - {2}Letter
0.60    J_CHICKENPOX_74         {7}Letter - punctuation - {4}Letter
1.05    MAILTO_TO_SPAM_ADDR     Includes a link to a likely spammer email
0.97    SUBJ_HAS_SPACES         Subject contains lots of white space
0.21    SUBJ_HAS_UNIQ_ID        Subject contains a unique ID