Testing a new installation

Steve Rochford Steve.Rochford at CNWL.AC.UK
Mon Apr 5 12:22:50 IST 2004

I've installed mailscanner on a FreeBSD system using Postfix and it
seems to work but I'd like to test it fully before I go live; ultimately
it will be forwarding email to an Exchange 2000 server.

At the moment I've been using Outlook Express on an internal machine
configured to point directly at the mailscanner box as its SMTP server.
This appears to work and if I send myself the EICAR test it's found and
deleted; other email gets through OK.

Is there something I can use to send sample spam/virus messages to my
mailscanner machine without having to change the MX record in my DNS?
(I've tried www.testvirus.org but that only seems to send email to my
published MX; I want something like that where I can specify the IP
address to send mail to).

Also, if I use Outlook Express or just telnet to port 25 on my
mailscanner machine it seems to take at least a minute before the
Postfix program responds. Is this delay configurable?

--
Steve Rochford
IT Support Manager