Skip 3rd party virus scan if MailScanner identifies by filename rule?

S Jlist sjlist at HEIDELBERG.EDU
Sat Apr 3 01:46:40 IST 2004

Hello.  Again, let me say that I've only been running MailScanner for a
little less than a month, but it is absolutely fabulous--it has been a
godsend for us.  Just upgraded to the latest stable release.

I was searching the list archives, trying to find a thread on this, but I
must not be searching well.  I did see a long thread back in January about
scanning for viruses before spam, instead of the other way around; I think
Julian at the time had said he didn't see the value in scanning messages
you'd be throwing away.

Let me ask a different question, and my apologies in advance if it's in the
list archives and I just haven't found it, or if I'm missing something
obvious.  (We deliver Spam, but tag it, and that's working well.)

We run MailScanner with the ClamAVModule. Our system is pretty heavily loaded.

I've kept the defaults in "filename.rules.conf," and we're throwing away
any messages that match those rules (after announcing that policy to our
users, of course).  We also throw away messages ClamAV flags as having a
virus.  In most cases, those are one and the same--it is a rare case that
ClamAV finds a virus MailScanner hasn't already labeled as having a bad
filename, and vice versa.

Since it is rare, I wondered if there were some way to tell MailScanner not
to bother calling ClamAV to perform a second scan on a message if
MailScanner has already flagged it as bad (or vice versa--I'm not sure who
does the test first).

TIA for any responses; and my apologies again if this has been covered.

Regardless, thanks again, Julian!

sjlist at heidelberg.edu