Fine tuning MailScanner

Pete pete at eatathome.com.au
Thu Apr 1 15:16:18 IST 2004

List Account wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have MailScanner setup with Postfix and ClamAV, and so far I have
> been very satisfied with the results. I do have some questions though
> that will help me get the implementation finalized.

Caveat: I am no expert!

> #1 - Is there a way to setup word filters in MailScanner? I want to
> block some specific words, especially swearing and vulgar terms.

Maybe - but you could also write/find custom rules for SpamAssassin to
handle this for you. Maybe ownload one of the popular custom rules and
customize it to filter your words...there are guide on the spamassassins
rule emporium for making your own custom rules.

> #2 - Does MailScanner generate any type of reports on number of spam
> messages filtered, or viruses deleted. I'm especially interested in
> the virus reports.

I believe this is all logged to the maillog - there are some 3rd party
tools, like mailscanner-mrtg and mailwatch to neatly display such
statistics.

Good luck and check out the mailling list archive
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa.exe?S1=mailscanner&D=0&T=0&H=0&O=T&F=&S=