Two MailScanner boxes

Christopher Lyon cslyon at NETSVCS.COM
Sun Sep 28 17:33:05 IST 2003

Rsync can be used automatically without user intervention?

> > Does anybody have a script for this already? Does anybody see any
> > other issues with doing this configuration?
>
> Remember that if you automatically sync the config files on one
machine to
> the other, both will need to reload MailScanner to use the new config
-
> you
> might want to set up a cron job which checks for conf files newer than
the
> PID files, or something like that, and does a reload if necessary?

What about just setting MailScanner's default restart down to something
like 1 hour.

That would be RESTART EVERY = 3600

So it isn't real time but within an hour the changes will be pushed.
That should be OK, Now just in case something is wrong with the conf
file, I should just do a check to make sure the PID is there and send an
alarm if it isn't present.

> > Also, a side note question since I am asking, there is a document on
how
> > deal with different rules for different domains? So, example,
sales.com
> has
> > one set of rules, scores...etc and techy.com has another set of
rules.
> We
> > apparently are being two aggressive with our rules and are upsetting
our
> > sales team.
>
> There are good notes on this sort of thing in
/opt/MailScanner/etc/rules

> Also I believe someone has just added a 'Rules' section to the website
FAQ,
> so if you find some good advice (or come up with some on your own) it
> would
> be nice to post it there for other people to reference.

Yeah, I did read some of that and it looks like this is mostly around
the rules files, filename, whitelist, blacklist...etc. I didn't see
anything about running one domain with "Spam Lists To Reach High Score =
5" and maybe another domain with "Spam Lists To Reach High Score = 10"
for example. Can the MailScanner.conf file be broken down to a domain
level?