Sendmail-8.12 RPM for RH7.x

Mike Kercher mike at CAMAROSS.NET
Sun Sep 28 16:19:11 IST 2003

Here are the steps I took:

Download the .src.rpm
ftp://speakeasy.rpmfind.net/linux/rawhide/1.0/SRPMS/SRPMS/sendmail-8.12.10-1
.1.src.rpm

Then install the source
rpm -ivh sendmail-8.12.10-1.1.src.rpm

Now you have to modify the spec file

cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
vi sendmail.spec

The 5th line down is what we want to change:

%define initdir /etc/rc.d/init.d
# If you want to build this on older Red Hat Linux releases, this defines
# the version number to build on. Supported should be 62 70 71 72 for
# Red Hat Linux 6.2 up to 7.2 and "100" for the current rawhide version.
%define errata 100

Change the line that says %define errata 100 to %define errata 72

Save your changes and then run:

rpm -ba --clean --rmsource sendmail.spec

This will create you a whole new set of RPM's to install...including
sendmail-cf.

Backup your /etc/mail directory before installing...just in case :)  You may
also run into a dependency on db3-devel which will need to be installed
before the rpm's will rebuild.

Mike