Two MailScanner boxes

Sun Sep 28 01:00:30 IST 2003

On Saturday 27 September 2003 11:47 pm, Chris Lyon wrote:

> I would like to run two mailscanner boxes for our incoming mail. Currently
> we just have one MailScanner box forwarding messages to a M$ exchange box.
> We would like to put a second one for redundancy and create two MX records
> with the same preference.

Sounds like a good plan.

> I am sure this isn't a big deal but the question that I have is, how to
> sync the confs, rules and other files between the boxes?

I'd use rsync.

> Does anybody have a script for this already? Does anybody see any
> other issues with doing this configuration?

Remember that if you automatically sync the config files on one machine to
the other, both will need to reload MailScanner to use the new config - you
might want to set up a cron job which checks for conf files newer than the
PID files, or something like that, and does a reload if necessary?

> Also, a side note question since I am asking, there is a document on how to
> deal with different rules for different domains? So, example, sales.com has
> one set of rules, scores...etc and techy.com has another set of rules. We
> apparently are being two aggressive with our rules and are upsetting our
> sales team.

There are good notes on this sort of thing in /opt/MailScanner/etc/rules

Also I believe someone has just added a 'Rules' section to the website FAQ,
so if you find some good advice (or come up with some on your own) it would
be nice to post it there for other people to reference.

Regards,

Antony.

--

You can spend the whole of your life trying to be popular,
but at the end of the day the size of the crowd at your funeral

 - Frank Skinner