Two MailScanner boxes

Shane kelly s.kelly at ayrcoll.ac.uk
Sun Sep 28 20:38:13 IST 2003

Hi,

On Saturday 27 September 2003 23:47, you wrote:
> I would like to run two mailscanner boxes for our incoming mail. Currently
> we just have one MailScanner box forwarding messages to a M$ exchange box.
> We would like to put a second one for redundancy and create two MX records
> with the same preference. I am sure this isn’t a big deal but the question
> that I have is, how to sync the confs, rules and other files between the
> boxes? Does anybody have a script for this already? Does anybody see any
> other issues with doing this configuration?

        The setup I use is to have one main 'config' box, that holds the config files
for each server (dns, dhcpd, proxies, mail etc).
        It is accessable by ssh with my key only. Each service I run has script files
that update the configs on the target servers using scp and ssh <command>
again using keys.
        For example I have an access directory for the sendmail access file (around
400 entries) that is scp'd to my three MailScanner boxes, which are then in
turn told to makemap hash etc, and MailScanner reload via ssh.
        With respect to mailscanner, this allows me to make individual changes to
each config (I alter headers etc to identify which machine an email has been
scanned by) and scp one or all of them to the required box.
        My mailscanner boxes are equal precedence MX records, all fronting for an
exchange box. This works well for now until I can ease out the
Exchange box ;-/
        The scripts are not very complicated - basically I did it by hand, one step
at a time, then put each command that I used in a script. (I use the bash
shell.)
        If you are not confident about scripting, google is your friend! :-)

        I cannot claim credit for this idea, i think I read about in Linux Journal.

> Also, a side note question since I am asking, there is a document on how to
> deal with different rules for different domains? So, example, sales.com has
> one set of rules, scores...etc and techy.com has another set of rules. We
> apparently are being two aggressive with our rules and are upsetting our
> sales team.

        Julians' answer to this bit is definitive.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
        Shane Kelly