Message Flow Diagram

Wed Sep 24 14:56:16 IST 2003

On Wednesday 24 September 2003 2:18 pm, Jason Burzenski wrote:

> All,
>
> I've attached a message flow diagram (originally created in visio)
> detailing how the various processes interact on a typical
> sendmail/mailscanner/spamassassin box.  This document was originally
> created to provide management and other technicians with a means of
> visualizing the message flow through the system.
>
> I would like to improve on this document by presenting it to the group for
> review.

My observations on the diagram are:

1. Very good, very useful.

2. Might be nice to show the Virus Test as an external process from
MailScanner, even more so than the Spam Tests, as MS does do some of its own
spam checks, however it does not do any of its own anti virus checking.

3. Might also be nice to indicate that multiple anti-virus engines can be
used (choose the one you want, or use a combination).

4. At the end of the MailScanner process, you have Quarantine and Deliver; I
think Discard and Bounce would be good to add as well.

Hope these comments are useful,

Regards,

Antony.

--

The idea that Bill Gates appeared like a knight in shining armour
to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos

 - Douglas Adams in The Guardian, August 25, 1995