Message Flow Diagram

Mariano Absatz mailscanner at LISTS.COM.AR
Wed Sep 24 15:38:52 IST 2003

OK... someone talked about your last remark... let me comment on the graph
itself.

I think it's alright altogether... as I mostly messed up with the MTA/MS
interface, I don't recall the exact order of things.

The only minor error I find in the figure is that the altering of the message
header appears within SpamAssassin.

SA does alter the headers when you use it standalone (not within
MailScanner), that is, with the "spamassassin" command or with "spamc/spamd".
However, MS uses SA as a Perl library and AFAIK, it gets back a score and a
list of matching rules with individual scores (in fact, i don't know if the
individual scores are added up by MS or SA, but I think is the latter).

It should be noted, also, that the virus tests are performed externally via a
virus scanner (the internal tests -e.g. IFrame- I understand that are part of
what you call "Attachment/HTML tests").

I think it should also be noted that RBL checks may be done within
MailScanner, within SpamAssassin or both.

Just my 2c.

--
Mariano Absatz

PS: I re-read this and it seems like I only find the hair in the soup (I
don't know if this expression exists in English)... I actually find the
diagram excelent and my points are really minor.

Regards.

--
Mariano Absatz
El Baby