Sendmail configuration and MailScanner

Wed Sep 24 14:12:13 IST 2003

On Wednesday 24 September 2003 2:11 pm, Mike Kercher wrote:

> I think the first question to answer is why his mail server is accepting
> mail at all for non-existent users.  The incoming sendmail process *should*
> reject invalid recipients before the email is ever accepted.

It should, yes, but not everyone has their sendmail set up like this.   Some
people accept mail to any address at their domain, and then either deliver
non-existent addresses into some 'catchall' account, or else throw it away at
the delivery stage, even though it got accepted in the first place.

>From the phrasing of the question, I assumed that Pascal did not know that
virusertable etc. could still be used when sendmail is in queueing mode.

I may of course be wrong :)

Regards,

Antony.

--

I vote "no" to this proposal to form a committee to investigate whether we
should or should not hold a ballot on whether to vote yet.