Sendmail configuration and MailScanner

Mike Kercher mike at CAMAROSS.NET
Wed Sep 24 14:11:04 IST 2003

I think the first question to answer is why his mail server is accepting
mail at all for non-existent users.  The incoming sendmail process *should*
reject invalid recipients before the email is ever accepted.

Mike

-----Original Message-----
Of Antony Stone
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 6:39 AM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: Sendmail configuration and MailScanner

On Wednesday 24 September 2003 11:03 am, Pascal Maes wrote:

> I have noticed that a lot of mail (spam ?) are for non-valid
> addresses.
>
> I would like to throw away these messages before they are analyzed by
> MailScanner but as the first sendmail is in mode "Queue Only" I don't
> know how to do this.

Even though your first sendmail process is running in queue-only mode, you
can still give it virtusertable and aliases databases to accept/reject mail.

You question implies that if sendmail wasn't running in queueing mode, you
would know how to block such emails (presumably using virtusertable).   Just
go ahead and do this anyway.

If I've made the wrong assumption, and you don't know how to do this, reply
and we'll come up with some hints for you (but checking sendmail's
virtusertable feature should tell you all you need to know).

Regards,

Antony.

--

Wanted: telepath.   You know where to apply.