MS 4.22-5, SA 2.55 & whitelist

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Sep 18 23:37:55 IST 2003

At 23:14 18/09/2003, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>We're using MailScanner 4.22-5 with SpamAssassin 2.55.
>
>I'm confused about the interaction of this MailScanner
>config file setting:
>
>Is Definitely Not Spam = %rules-dir%/spam.whitelist.rules
>
>...with SpamAssassin.

Putting an entry in the spam.whitelist.rules file will not check that
message for being spam at all, either in the "Spam Lists" or SpamAssassin.

>Is that config setting only applicable for Spam List
>checking,

No.

>  or can we use it to prevent certain messages from
>being processed by SpamAssassin?

Yes.

>Or, is it better to use either:
>
>a) something like this: Use SpamAssassin = %rules-dir%/use.spamassassin.rules

That will only control the SpamAssassin processing, not the Spam List
processing.

>-or-
>
>b) "whitelist_from" entries in %etc-dir%/spam.assassin.prefs.conf

That's another way of doing the whitelisting just for SpamAssassin, but I'm
not sure it is as flexible as the arbitrary expressions that MailScanner
allows (but I haven't checked in any great detail).

>Oh, and one other question:
>
>Does the "Spam Checks" setting in the MS config file have to be
>set to "yes" for SpamAssassin to be used, or is that entirely
>controlled by the "Use SpamAssassin" setting?

The "Spam Checks" controls *all* the spam checking, so both Spam Checks and
Use SpamAssassin have to be yes for a message to be put through SpamAssassin.

--
Julian Field