Duplicate emails

Martin Sapsed m.sapsed at BANGOR.AC.UK
Thu Sep 18 17:37:40 IST 2003

Gerry Doris wrote:
> No, I've been getting them too.  Last night I even got a message from this
> listserver saying that I had posted a previous message just like the one I
> had just tried to post.  Obviously, I hadn't just tried to post a
> duplicate message.

I looked into it. There were a few messages duplicated because they went
to someone's server and then back to the list - the duplicates were
several kb bigger due to a load of extra headers. They appear to have
stopped though. I sent a message to the address which appeared to be
responsible but have had neither a reply nor several copies of the
message! If I see any more duplicates via that address, I'll suspend
delivery to it.

> It seems like every couple of months this listserver becomes forgetful and
> starts reposting messages???

Not true. As you have noticed, the server is actually quite good at
spotting duplicates and eliminating them. The cause is invariably a
mis-configured system used by a subscriber.

Cheers,

Martin

(helping Julian out with some list management stuff since I don't
(can't!) contribute code!)

--
Martin Sapsed
Information Services               "Who do you say I am?"