Duplicate emails

Gerry Doris gerry at dorfam.ca
Wed Sep 17 14:33:29 IST 2003

> On Wednesday 17 September 2003 2:01 pm, mikea wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 10:52:19PM +0100, Antony Stone wrote:
>> > I see there are a number of duplicate emails turning up on this list.
>> >
>> > Oddly enough the same thing happened on another mailing list I'm
>> > subscribed to (Squid-users) yesterday.
>> >
>> > Anyone got any ideas why this might be happening?
>>
>> That's a particularly good question, as I'm not seeing any duplicates
>> at all. Is some intermediate node in your network spawning dupes?
>
> I don't think so.   A cursory look at some headers indicated that the
> mails
> were going through listserv.jiscmail.ac.uk and then taking their customary
> (short) route to me, however I've been too busy with other things this
> morning to look in more detail.
>
> I got about half a dozen last night, when I posted this, and then another
> half dozen about 9am today, including some of my own postings.
>
> If other people haven't seen it then it can't be going though jiscmail
> though.
>
> Never mind,
>
> Antony.

No, I've been getting them too.  Last night I even got a message from this
listserver saying that I had posted a previous message just like the one I
had just tried to post.  Obviously, I hadn't just tried to post a
duplicate message.

It seems like every couple of months this listserver becomes forgetful and
starts reposting messages???

Gerry