/var/spool/MailScanner/incoming

Kris Zabriskie zabriskw at ITECH.NET
Wed Sep 17 14:39:57 IST 2003

Today I have noticed a small problem with my installation of MailScanner.  I
tailed my mail.log and noticed an interesting message occurring every once
and awhile.

Cannot create temporary Work Dir /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/502693. Are
the permissions and ownership of /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming correct?

I went over to /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming to check the permissions and
they are:
drwxrwxrwx65533 root     system   1605632 Sep 13 16:00 incoming

I went in the directory to take a look around and there are probably
MILLIONS of directories.  So I have a couple of questions here:

1) What is the /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming directory used for?
2) Can I blow these directories away?
3) What might be causing this problem?

Any help would greatly be appreciate.  Thanks!