/var/spool/MailScanner/incoming

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Sep 17 15:25:25 IST 2003

At 14:39 17/09/2003, you wrote:
>Today I have noticed a small problem with my installation of MailScanner.  I
>tailed my mail.log and noticed an interesting message occurring every once
>and awhile.
>
>Cannot create temporary Work Dir /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/502693. Are
>the permissions and ownership of /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming correct?
>

>I went over to /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming to check the permissions and
>they are:
>drwxrwxrwx65533 root     system   1605632 Sep 13 16:00 incoming

You have world-writable directories on your system! :-(

>I went in the directory to take a look around and there are probably
>MILLIONS of directories.  So I have a couple of questions here:
>
>1) What is the /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming directory used for?
>2) Can I blow these directories away?
>3) What might be causing this problem?
>
>Any help would greatly be appreciate.  Thanks!

1) Temporary storage used by MailScanner while working
2)
Stop MailScanner.
rm -rf /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming
mkdir /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming
3) How do you stop MailScanner? You shouldn't kill -9 it or anything nasty
like that.
--
Julian Field