Spamassassin keeps on dying

Ugo Bellavance ugob at CAMO-ROUTE.COM
Wed Sep 10 04:04:51 IST 2003

Hi,

        I've been testing MailScanner successfully, but I have a few questions.  I've been following the mailing list for a while, but haven't found complete answers yet, and searching the archives is quite hard.

Here is my setup:

internet -> Mailscanner (pentium II 300, scsi) -> Exchange server (with symantec AV)

I currently use only MailScanner with ClamAV.  My goal is to reduce the load on the Exchange server by blocking most dangerous files before they reach it.  While at it, I want to reduce the spam entering our system.  It adds security at the same time, by adding one anti-virus layer, and prevent the Exchange server from being connected directly to the net. I use MRTG for stats.  Since we only process a maximum of 100 messages a day, the setup is OK.  I'm running RedHat 9.

I'd like to add SpamAssassin to my setup.

I installed it from the source, and modified MailScanner.conf consequently, but I always get this message

SpamAssassin timed out and was killed, consecutive failure 1 of 20

Is there a MS, SA, DCC, Pyzor, Razor how-to? ( I installed most of them, but I don't know how to make them work together).

Another concern I have is regarding virus delivery and dangerous HTML.

Since I want to reduce the load on my Exchange server, I don't want viruses to be delivered, unless they are deinfected (I don't want to have a message delivered to the recipient saying that I MS stopped a virus, they don't care).  I use stats from MRTG to show my boss the benefits of MS.
Consequently, I don't want virus to be delivered, but I want dangerous HTML messages to be converted to text and send to the recipient.  However, I tried it and when I ask not to deliver virus, it applies this setting to the bad html and therefore the convert dangerous html to text is ignored.

For spam, I want that high-score spam not delivered, stored and forwared to me, and I want regular spam to be stored, and a message to the recipient sent saying there was a spam, and where to get it if it is not one.

How would I have to configure my system to achieve my goals?

What files should I send to the list to complete my question?