MailScanner+PostFix

Keith Edmunds keith at MIDNIGHTHAX.COM
Wed Sep 3 23:51:22 IST 2003

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 11:19:35 +0100
Julian Field <mailscanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK> wrote:

> I would advise you look at Exim instead. Due to the structure of
> Postfix, MailScanner has to do a heck of a lot more i/o than it does
> when working with sendmail or Exim, so it's not very efficient. The
> body of every message has to be copied between queues, as opposed to
> just linked and deleted as it does with sendmail and Exim.
>
> Postfix has a (deservedly) good reputation, it's just that its
> internal design doesn't fit with MailScanner very well.

Is it fair to say that the duplicate mail problem with Postfix is
unlikely to be resolved in the near future? Don't get me wrong, I'm not
knocking either MS or Postfix, I just want to know! I use Postfix on a
number of installations and I think I'm faced with the choice of:

a) migrating to, say, exim or
b) putting up with the duplicate mails

If I'm wrong, correction would be welcomed. Is it likely that there will
ever be a tighter integration between Postfix and MS which would work
around these issues?

Thanks,
Keith