MailScanner & Solaris (Sparc)

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Tue Oct 28 02:35:48 GMT 2003

At 09:21 PM 10/27/2003, you wrote:
>Friends,
>
>i just realize that MailScanner is capable of running over a Solaris server
>(with a Sparc processor). Does anybody have some expertise about that? My
>main question is about the performance of the server and the load that
>MailScanner will add over this kind of equipment and what we'll have to
>upgrade in order of having MS working fine over a Solaris box.

The load presented is going to depend on a lot of factors:
         1) What's the rate of message arrival, and average size..
         2) What tools are you going to use with it? spamassassin? are you
going to use SA's AWL or bayes? razor/dcc/pyzor? DNS blacklists? A virus
scanner?

And well, it's also going to depend on what kind of sparc you've got in
that solaris server.. Some models of Sun computers with sparc CPU are
_really_ slow, and others are quite fast multi-cpu systems.

In general mailscanner itself adds very little load, it's all the add-ons
that load you down..

However, as a rough-order of magnitude, a minimalist no-dnsbl, no
razor/dcc/pyzor, no AWL, no bayes mailscanner/spamassassin/virus scanning
shouldn't do much more than double your current loads unless your messages
are quite large.

Others with more careful measurements from high load systems may have
better insight than I do however..